Sunday, May 15, 2011

Hanging out with Sea Turtles!

Want a nice way to spend an evening? How about heading out to the beach at Sunset...watching the sun slowly go down...watch the surfers come in...



And then watch the turtles come in!








Hawaii state law prohibits touching these beautiful creatures..and believe me it's hard not to...they come up so close to you! But you also want to think about keeping all your digits..they have sharp beaks for mouths and could probably snap a finger right off! Plus we don't want to add to any difficulties they are having as an endangered species so we don't touch..have a quick photo shoot and then sit back and watch as they nap in the moonlight. Not really sure what they are doing but they definitely want out of the water by sunset. And no they are not laying eggs. I imagine they are really smart and do that somewhere where people can't come to watch and take pictures with them (^-^)




Here is a video of one of the turtles that I posted on YouTube
sea turtle coming to shore
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZXSfXQGH5w

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, that must have been some sight to see, Jamee! They're huge! No way would I have touched one if it it was allowed. Fascinating creatures. Nature is absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing this.

Jonara Blu Maui said...

If you were allowed to touch...they are sooo slow so you could tough their shell...or possible a fin..but I would stay away from the face for sure!

Jonara Blu Maui said...

Oops..I meant touch their shell..not tough!

Cheryl K said...

I would love to be able to experience that! Awesome!

Christina J. said...

That is amazing! Are there a lot of people on the bach watching the turtles come in? My son would have loved to see that. He's fascinated with the painted turtles that are in the marsh areas near our house.

ChezChani said...

Thanks for sharing, really cool!

Jonara Blu Maui said...

I'm so glad everyone is enjoying this..I know it's a rare treat to see something like this. And no..Christina..amazingly we were the only ones there. I don't know about other nights. I think all the locals that go there have seen them so many times they probably don't wait around to watch that often.